Far and wide wherever I find myself to be, with whomever I may be speaking to, it seems a not-so-little secret that Ubud is the mecca of all things healthy, yoga and spiritual. More often than not the reputation that precedes a popular travel spot doesn't always quite live up to its the high expectation its garnered. Ubud, as well known as it has become, hasn't lost its charm and essence. Don't get me wrong, there still remains the hustle and bustle side, with many tourists arriving in droves daily, but if you navigate away from this in to quieter parts of the Ubud it is truly beautiful. Partly thanks to the local ex-pat community who have taken great measures to ensure the arts, culture and land are celebrating, also ensuring recycling practices are well in place.
I am no stranger to Ubud, having visited some ten times by now. It has an allure to me that I haven't found elsewhere. I suppose its a mix of the calming way of life the local Hindu, Buddhists and Expats practice daily, the unspoilt nature in the form of waterfalls and lush tropical forests, ample yoga studios, eco resorts, and need I mention the food?
The following is a collation of my favourite cafes, restaurants and things to do in Ubud:
1. The Campuhan Ridge Walk
Address: Jalan Raya Campuan, Sayan, Ubud, Kelusa, Payangan, Kabupaten Gianyar, Bali 80571, Indonesia
Address: Sayan, Ubud, Gianyar, Bali 80571, Indonesia
3. The Seed Of Life
Address; Jl. Gootama No.2, Ubud, Gianyar, Kabupaten Gianyar, Bali 80571, Indonesia
4. Make friends with the locals...
5. Moksa Plant-based Restaurant & Permaculture Garden. My favourite cafe in Bali, hands down! A super creative and passionate team create magic daily, their care and craft breathes through in the food. A great spot to take non-vegan eaters for a diverse tasty mix of food that packs a punch.
Adress: Puskesmas Ubud II, Gang Damai, Sayan, Ubud, Kabupaten Gianyar, Bali 80571, Indonesia
Adress: Jalan Penestanan Kelod No.75, Sayan, Ubud, Kabupaten Gianyar, Bali 80571, Indonesia
Granola breakfast bar!
Chia granola parfait!
Best carrot cake in town. Hands down!
8. Morning Markets. Every morning the fruit and vegetable markets are held within the main market square in Ubud town.
Address: Jl. Raya Ubud No.14
9. Bambu Indah Resort - Amazing eco self sustaining resort! Full of tree houses and hide aways, with a natural running lagoon throughout it.
Address: Jl. Banjar Baung, Desa, Sayan, Ubud, Kabupaten Gianyar, Bali 80571, Indonesia
10. Yoga Barn Ubud Yoga in a tree house. Also be sure to try their cafe, full of powerful feel good foods
Address: Jl. Raya Pengosekan, Ubud, Gianyar, Kabupaten Gianyar, Bali 80571, Indonesia
11. Visit a local Warung. These are Indonesian restaurants serving up traditional food. They're where the locals eat and littered over Bali.
12. White Water Rafting
Address: Jl. Raya Ubud
13. Visit Tegenungan Waterfall
Address: Jalan Ir. Sutami, Kemenuh, Sukawati, Kemenuh, Sukawati, Kabupaten Gianyar, Bali 80581, Indonesia
14. Visit a road side fruit stop. The local farmers grow abundance year round, on the outskirts of Ubud many farmers have roadside stalls.
15.Tegallalang Rice Terrace
Address: Jalan Tegallalang, Tegallalang, Kabupaten Gianyar, Bali 80561, Indonesia
16. Visit the Saturday Farmers Market at Moksa. Local farmers and produce makers come to Moksa gardens from all over Ubud. They sell organic, fresh produce. Everything from freshly baked bread to dried fruit and activated nuts to pickled foods and so much more!
Address: Puskesmas Ubud II, Gg. Damai, Ubud 80571, Indonesia
17. Tirta Empul Temple. Visit this Hindu temple and take part in a water blessing ceremony like no other. Learn the Hindus ways of devotion and cleanse yourself.
Address; Jalan Tirta, Manukaya, Tampaksiring, Manukaya, Tampaksiring, Kabupaten Gianyar, Bali 80552, Indonesia
18. Monkeys are always about in Ubud. Some tamer than others, I wouldn't recommend the Monkey Forrest if you're not akin to them!
There is a never ending sea of things to discover in Ubud and beyond... Many lush forests and healthy foodie spots to be unearthed!